Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Such Small Seeds!


Over the years, we have planted the tiniest seeds for projects during our home school time, some the size of a mustard seed or even smaller.  We also have a tradition of planting marigold flowers and saving the small seeds every autumn from them so that we don’t have to buy more in the early spring.  We have done that for years and I inwardly hope that my daughters will go on sharing in this little tradition with one another into adulthood.  I marvel at the smallest of herb seeds and at times feel like those seeds, just so small and unable to do great things for the Lord.  Certainly not with my own strength.
 

Although we used to keep a big garden at one time, now these little projects take their place.  Along with that I realize that even a small and weaker seed can grow under favorable circumstances such as rich soil, a nice amount of sunlight and the appropriate amount of water.

 

God does supply what they need each year as well as what I need.  There are reminders all around of his faithfulness.  The last of the marigolds blooming, the green vine hanging in a pot in our living room is surviving, and the terrarium project that is taking over the container it is in.  There are reminders for my own life as well that I have been looking over lately in my journal I see small things that have kept me thriving, promises kept through God’s Living Word, a table full of food and family around it, and all our needs met.

 

I can count on God’s supply whether suffering a new diagnosis or feeling small in a world with so many needs.  God uses those small seeds and together uses all we do and connects our efforts to other small seeds and the gift of life goes on. It is sufficient.   However small we feel, we are part of that bigger, though some times mysterious plan and we are never alone.

 

“It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground.  Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in it’s shade.”  Mark 4:31-32

 

5 comments:

Renee said...

So very true...God is faithful...God is faithful...

Ganeida said...

Jan Lyn! ♥♥♥ I saw you were back blogging but I am back in school myself now & pushed for time ~ as you will understand. Am so happy to be visiting here again!

Jan Lyn said...

Yes, so faithful, Renee.

Ganeida, boy do I understand. I had to let go of my blog while juggling home school and my own school. Found miracles still happen though as I graduated!
Can't wait to get updated in your blog also. Go girl, you can do it! :)

Jnana Hodson said...

Remember, too, the sequoia is one of the smallest of the evergreen cones.

Jnana Hodson said...

Remember, too, the sequoia is one of the smallest of the evergreen cones.